Why SHOULDN'T I e-mail the contents of this website to friends?
We'd prefer that you give your friends a LINK to this website, rather than
copying the contents for a whole bunch of reasons:
- Most of the "Forward to everyone you know" e-mails are just pure bunk.
Anywhere between silly and outright lies.
We'd rather not be a part of that.
- Most likely, you would forward the email with a lot of other people's
email addresses attached.
Spammers love it when you do this.
The people responsible for this project are on opposite sides of the
political spectrum, but we both hate spammers (and work hard to block
Don't help spammers.
We'd much prefer you personally write your own e-mail to your own
friends, saying in your own words why you agree (or disagree!) with
this, rather than simply forwarding the email you got to other people.
- We don't want other people altering our message.
If you come to this website, you see our message.
If you have a similar, but different message, do whatever you want
with that, but don't be using our names to do it.
(yes, that means *we* could alter our message, and we could promise
not to do that, but if we were sleezy, our promises wouldn't mean
much, would they?)
- We like our little counter at the bottom of our page.
We'd like to have SOME idea how many people are seeing this message.
If you see a very small number, no one cares (or you are an "Early
If you see a big number, that may indicate a lot of people are having
fun misleading poll takers.
Or, it may mean we've been screwing around with the counter (we don't,
but again, if we WERE fiddling with the counter, we'd not admit to it,
- Information collection, use and sharing:
We do not use "cookies" to track you.
Any time you go to a website, the webserver knows where you came from
(that's how it responds to you), and knows little bits of information,
like what browser you used, what time you were there, and how you found
Most web servers log this data, ours is no exception.
Here is a sample of the log data:
- 188.8.131.52 (your IP address)
- [15/Nov/2011:20:04:35 -0500] (date and time you visited)
- "GET /whynoemail.html HTTP/1.1" (the command your browser sent to get a page)
- 200 1387 (result code and size of the data transfer)
- "http://lietopolls.org/" (how you got to this page)
- "Mozilla/5.0 (X11; OpenBSD amd64) AppleWebKit/534.26+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0 Safari/534.26+ $xxxterm: xxxterm.c,v 1.399 2011/06/15 20:15:00 rgraf Exp $+"
(The type and version of browser you used, what operating system you are on)
- Neither I nor my server makes any attempt to figure out who you are, or
track anything about you other than the above information.
However, be aware that it MIGHT be possible to find out information about
you with that information and other publicly visible info you leave around
on the Internet.
- What we will do with what little info we have on you:
Nothing. We may be curious what browsers people use or how many different
places people are coming from, but we won't sell it or disclose it to third
- Security: I take this server's security far more seriously than most
people who stick the word "secure" on their craptastic website.
But, you aren't entering any data here, so you got a lot less to worry
about here than you do at almost any other website in the world.